Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My Dad, Griffin's Pop


If you check in here often, you may have noticed my silence over the past couple weeks. My dad has been battling lung cancer for the past nine years and recently found himself in a fight for his life. So I, along with my stepmother & siblings, went to him and was with him until the moment he passed, yesterday morning, peacefully and without suffering. I'm feeling lots of things, but perhaps more than anything at this very moment, I feel grateful for the goodbye - something I did not have with my mom 13 years ago. My heart is heavy and aches already for his company, for our pb&j lunches, for his incredible stories, but I'm comforted knowing he's not suffering anymore. That he is in a better place. And that he's with my mom once again.

I've been lucky enough to have Nicole holding down the fort here at L&H and thanks to her, we'll be having a big sale after Thanksgiving. I might choose to stay silent for just a bit longer, but because I love this blog & the relationships I've formed through it, I wanted to let you in on what's going on with me. So, for now, be well, have a Happy Thanksgiving, and I'll be back soon.

xoxo
Liz

(Above is a chalkboard drawing my nieces & nephews did for their Pop:) 

11 comments:

Junita said...

I am so very sorry for your loss, Liz. I hope you take as much time as you need. May your heart be filled with warm memories of the time you had together.

Quinn said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad to throat cancer this past year and know how hard it can be, but also a huge comfort knowing he is not in pain any longer. One of my favorite quotes that brought me comfort is, "the life given us is short, but the memory of a life well spent it eternal." Take time for yourself.

heather said...

So sorry!!!

julia said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Liz! I'm thinking of you and your family. xoxoxoxo

Shelley Barandes said...

Oh Liz. I'm so sorry about your dad. I'm glad you got to celebrate his life and spend his final days surrounded by family. My heart goes out to you and your family.

With love,
Shelley, Sadie & Albertine

Anonymous said...

Liz, just heard Wed. night, So sorry I know how close you were, but he is in a better place and won't suffer any longer. We love you and are always here for you and all your family. It will be hard but you will heal and all the fun memories you have. Uncle Frank will never be forgotten. I can see him now telling a friday night story at the beach, how we would laugh. Think of your mom every day and now I will think of the together. Take care, keep in touch.Love you so much. A.Lorraine & family.

Rachel said...

xxxx

Tommy said...

I'm sorry to hear this, and I appreciate your sharing this post. I am sure that he was grateful to be able to see his loved ones gathered around before he left this life.

Brittany said...

so sorry for your loss. glad you were able to spend time with your dad. we will be here whenever you come back. my sister just received her 2012 postcard calendar and loves it. thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you continue to feel your dad's love throughout your life.

Connie said...

Liz - I'm so sorry for your loss, and am thinking of you and your family! xo, Connie