Friday, February 20, 2009

Handwriting & Handwritten Notes


There's a great excerpt from Kitty Burns Florey's new book Script & Scribble, The Rise and Fall of Handwriting right here in the WSJ. While it's not the same thing exactly, I was recently interviewed about the resurgence of letter writing in an email age. I love this topic and could talk about it til the cows come home. I have a friend who is the queen of letter-writing - thank you notes for everything from gifts to the casual hosting of a home-cooked meal. And I have to say, there is nothing nicer, and perhaps more pleasantly surprising these days, than a sincere handwritten note. A simple thank you, a hello, an I miss you. I love them all - personalized stationery or a greeting card - it doesn't matter as long as it's you.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

Although I don't think it was the WSJ article, I recently read something about this book, and it's definitely making its way to my must-read list. And I totally agree about handwritten communication. An e-mail or text is nice, but opening something in hand trumps those every time. :)