Thursday, January 17, 2008

Stone Cold Love

Last night, when Lizzy told me that Oprah had heads of companies on her show the other day, I ran home and watched by DVR'd show. (Don't judge, I DVR Oprah every day.) I'm kind of obsessed with hearing how people start their businesses, so I was really excited to hear about the people who started Stone Cold Creamery, Williams-Sonoma and The Container Store.

Susan and Donald Sutherland started Stone Cold Creamery in 1988 in Tempe, Arizona. For the first 16 months, they say that they were just a regular old mom and pop shop, sometimes doing $6 a day. I am always amazed and inspired by people who start their own businesses and keep up the faith when things aren't moving as quickly as they might have hoped. Plus, I have a special place in my heart for any business that satisfies my sweet-tooth. Today, CSC is a 500 million dollar business. Clearly, they weren't the only ones who thought they had the best tasting ice-cream. My favorite? Cake batter mixed with anything peanut-buttery.

Check out the other heads of businesses featured of Oprah here.

[photos courtesy of Oprah.com]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not really a big Oprah fan (am a little torn with the whole thing) But, that's another subject.

I too am really inspired by entrepreneurs having been one myself. I am constantly reading stories like this. It is so encouraging and inspiring.

Lizzy and Shannon said...

thats really funny... I just posted about Pinkberry, and then cruised over here to look at your blog!

Tommy said...

Whoa! I LOVE all three of those companies. Maybe one day you'll be on Oprah. :) I totally believe that you can do it!